Internship Panel Q&A
Assemble a panel of students who participated in a software development internship. The goal is to avoid discussing the usual where did you work and how did you find an internship, and instead focus on the tools and processes used inside companies.
- Quick intro - who are you? where did you work? what year are you?
- Describe your project in seven words or less
- Describe your team - size? fellow interns or full-timers? which schools for interns? same office or remote?
- How did your team communicate? Email, Slack, Skype, etc?
- What was your primary programming language? Any relevant version info - Python 2 vs 3, Java 6, 7, 8, C99, Fortran77?
- Which build tools did you use? Make, ant, gradle?
- In one word, which version control system?
- Describe your workflow and review process
- Were there pull requests, branches, everybody commit to master?
- Any code review tools - Gerrit, peer review, email, yelling across the cube?
- What VCS platform did you use - GitHub, GitLab, BitBucket, that Microsoft thing?
- How was software tested? What tools did you use? Any CI pipeline?
- What was your desktop OS? What OS did you build for?
- Tabs or spaces?
- What text editor did you use?
- Did documentation help you get up to speed? Where were docs maintained? How long did orientation take?
- What is something from software engineering classes that was truer than you expected?
- What is something from software engineering classes that was false?
These are slightly more subjective and could be cut for time.
- Was the development language a good fit for the project?
- What’s one thing you’d change?
- What technology do you wish you’d known going in?
- Audience Q&A